By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. I was sure that you were talking about people who own cats and insist they have the right to roam anywhere and destroy everyone elses lives and property. My old cat goes into the yard with me while I water (I don't leave him outside otherwise). Your cat should be prevented from going onto your neighbors property if he strongly dislikes it. In this case someone does mind and you cant take the risk that he is just making an idle threat. Video cameras will aid with evidence for any cruelty cases and deter anyone who might harm the cats from coming onto the property. Common Examples: Psychos, sneaky stealers, garbage collectors, criminals making their bad business right in front of your home. What I hope to achieve is getting him not to kill my animals and perhaps act a bit more reasonably if he sees a cat in his yard (talk to me first without death threats through the fence?). There is little point calling the police after he has hurt your cat. But part of me (a bitter part?) Someone who is such a 'punk dude' they'd threaten a cat, is probably a punk dude in a lot of other ways. Also it is important to try and keep on good terms with your neighbors. Is there anyone I can contact that goes after animal abusers, I am devastated by what he did to this poor cat, this person is obviously a psychopath! I dont understand the concept of calling my pet a family member and then letting it wander all over creation where just natural dangers can take its life of cause great injury or illness not even taking into account the sick animal haters who will dispose of your pet without a second thought. My insistence on personal apology/communication is based on two observations: first, it carries much more weight, and second (which is related in fact) is that people behave more civil in personal interactions. For more tips on trapping cats, see the Report this nasty bully before its too late. We did call the police this morning so they are aware, but she's threatening me, the cat and to sue the apartments forwell something we're not so sure of. Well Ive got news for you, YOU are exactly that with knobs on! Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. Harming animals with a sense of elation is a huge red flag personality indicator. 6 attorney answers. Simply astounding. Please don.t let him get away with this. There are devices to prevent cats entering properties but personally I dont really believe in them. Further to that point, if something happens to my cat I will look to you first. Redditor's Dogs Kills The Neighbor's Cat In A Brutal Territorial Fight We have 2 ginger cats and they often interact with outdoor cats. Photo of angry man by Jan Tik (great photo, well done). Keep your cat indoors. She told me I'm a Trump supporter (I'm not) and I'm not welcome in this neighborhood if those are my values. If not, you cannot claim they never went into their yards because you werent aware of it. Neighbor disputes are the worst kind. 5 Tips for Dealing With a Neighbor's Aggressive Dog - Petful What to do with threatening neighbors displaying mental illness? Why? @Zeus, I needed the card for two reasons: (1) If he wasn't home, I wasn't going to loiter and wait for him to come back, the card was going to serve as a message vessel, (2) because I find card apologies to be more thought through and polite. I saw my cat pop up (from what I thought was behind the shed) and heard my neighbour mutter through the fence "I'm gonna kill that cat, stay out of my yard". British citizens and citizens of other countries may have recognised the latest developments in the woke movement. Oooops, you just caught yourself in one of your own HUGE lies. I'm not defending your neighbor here, but have you put yourself in his shoes? Funny how the families who churn out the most kids have the least respect for anything. It's almost like a reflex, done automatically without thought. HOA Responsibility for Neighbor-to-Neighbor Disputes & Harassment That way, the neighbors are happy and your cat isn't crapping in their yard or killing any critters. Right? In the given case that you prime goal is to let your cat stay alive, I wouldn't go into any details about the threatening he did. He said that an intruder had entered. Its not your neighbors! I dont know whether they do go on to his property but there has to be some sort of visible guaranteed barrier preventing them which will satisfy him. If talking about your concerns in person with your neighbor doesn't work (always the first step), call the authorities and file a complaint with your local police, homeowners association, or county office. If your cat never went into their yards or climbed any fences, then you wouldnt worry one bit that they put up barbed-wire. The only thing those people valued was to be able to bully the neighbourhood, probably a bit like yourself which is why you are able to understand their sick mindset. The dog may have a lot of pent-up energy because they don't exercise enough and maybe bothering the cat for this reason. So much so that you knew your cats were going to eventually get harmed from YOUR irresponsible behavior that it even made you move to a new residence. There is no such thing as a fat cat any more. For example, a person who threatens their neighbor while waving a gun may be charged with aggravated assault. When he couldn't get a good answer he said he's file a civil suit. Intentionally injuring or killing a cat is a criminal offense. Alley Cat Allies is a 501(c)3 organization. I told her I have a legal right to live here as much as anyone else. Like I think if he had a gun he would have shot my cat yesterday. The Road Less Travelled. I have a cat, and she is an outdoor cat. No I was talking about people who refuse to live and let live,who allow their kids to run wild,cheek adults and chuck rubbish around and own dogs that mess all over and bark constantly. I can tell from my own experience in several cases, that people are way more likely to be accepting and understanding if you communicate to them that you understand their trouble. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. It sucks ass, but if that is what you have to do to stop your psycho neighbour shooting her, it may be the only option you have besides moving. Its ALWAYS something or someone elses fault. Can my neighbor kill my cats? | TheCatSite 2023 Alley Cat Allies. (And why a defense up so high if your cats dont climb fences?) Dog Law In California: Protecting The Dog and Protecting People/Animals No, it wouldn't for obvious reasons. I am concerned about their welfare. This is the crux of the story; OP's dogs killed a neighbor's cat who came into the yard by crossing the fence. Catsunami hi, welcome! Hi, I'm a 74-year-old retired solicitor (attorney in the US). I don't want to talk to him in person because honestly he seems a bit unbalanced. Like I say.pure ignorance. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? You may discover that he is already aware of the problem and has signed up for obedience . Today I witnessed my cat get mauled by a neighbor's pit bull. I surmise they only moved their bird-feeders to where the barbed-wire was to protect their animals from having witnessed many such cat-attacks in the past. Neighbor Tried to Poison My Dog (You Should Do This ASAP!) - Yard Blogger A little while after she left, things got better with this neighbor. While I would never shoot or threaten to shoot someone's pet, I really hate it when they let them crap in my yard and not pick up after them. Is It Illegal to Threaten Someone? | CriminalDefenseLawyer.com Wow. Her response was, "No, we've already talked about it and you're being unpleasant." I read an article once saying how badly cats have hurt bird populations. I think that the neighbour rather reacted in the heat of the moment and has probably calmed down now. Whats the common denominator for this couple of cats? By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. When they put up the barbed wire I actually phoned the police and the RSPCA and was told nothing could be done until a cat was injured! Should I still report the lady to the police anyhow so there's a record, if nothing else? Surprise surprise it turned out that one of the sons who had got his girl friend pregnant, eventually bought our house at a knock down price after the women who bought it first, moved out too because of their bullying anti social ways. If your cat is on her property, it may be fair game. I think he would have a difficult time proving the suit, and if he had damages to show, I don't know exactly how far he could stretch a Small Claims suit. I agree completely. They might have a cat of their own that feels intimidated by other cats in the area. Use of Deadly Force Against Dangerous Animals I saw my cat pop up (from what I thought was behind the shed) and heard my neighbour mutter through the fence "I'm gonna kill that cat, stay out of my yard". :)" 16: "If. We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. The punishment for killing a dog varies per state and county, but the highest form of punishment is seven years of jail time or a $5,000 fine. Fed-up neighbor threatens to poison noisy dogs with chocolate Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts I'm accepting this answer because it addressed the question I asked. Your neighbor should not be cursing at you or threatening the life of your dog. Neighbour threatening my cat - advice please? - MoneySavingExpert Forum Nobody puts up with that last-century game anymore. I would recommend that you invest in a security camera system. The op should definitely report him. Maybe a fence would deter him? A Florida man is accused of fatally shooting a neighbor whose cat walked onto his property, authorities said. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. If I had 20 dogs because I love dogs, but my house was too little or I was unable to really be responsible for them, or I just wanted the dogs to be able to do whatever they wanted to do, and I let them wander all over the place, would that be OK? The police arrived and took a report. They take him to the pound or shelter where his lifespan might be only a matter minutes. How can we prove that the supernatural or paranormal doesn't exist? If one of my neighbours told me they was putting down a deliberate poison because of my cat I would report it to the police and the RSPCA. I finally followed the cat home after chasing it out of my yard and tried to have a chat with the owner who completely came unhinged and out of control threatening me with bodily harm. I actually take him places, and he just hangs out with me so he finds his "outdoor time" in other ways that don't involve upsetting my neighbor. Are there dog haters like Woody cat hater, who hate all dogs and their owners too I wonder? God help us there are many like those low life bullies and it sounds to me as if YOU are one of them.or maybe you are the cowardly idiot Woody back again with yet another alias. I think your neighbour is well out of order, it's not illegal to deter cats but putting out poison is unacceptable IMO. The sensible answer is to be proactive and prevent your neighbor making threats. You may not have the funds to build such a barrier but I dont think they are that expensive. Most lawsuits or legal action happen after the damage is done in a case like this no matter the outcome your pet is still injured or dead. I don't think it's right to threaten someone's pet. Okay!? Many people use death threat as a general insult (even at their own children), without even the slightest intent to actually do it. Her response was something like, "The humane society, and you'll never see him again." I am familiar with the use of that expression in frustration, but he sounded really mad. But below I recommend an alternative way to deal with the matter which may help to keep on reasonable terms with your neighbour if this is possible. He is Charlie. Re: Neighbor threatened to kill my cat So my neighbor comes banging on the door at 3AM cussing and all pissed cause his dog got out while chasing my cat. Addressing Violent Threats Against Cats | Alley Cat Allies I do not understand the entitlement of some pet owners who think everyone should tolerate their dog or cat running loose or in the case of dogs yowling all night. No one wants to do anything constructive and everybody loses in the end. Threats To Kill - Charges, Penalties and Sentencing Speak Directly To a Lawyer Now 1300 038 223 Open 7am - Midnight, 7 days Or have our lawyers call you: * * Call me later Imprisonment (Jail - Full Time) Community Corrections Orders Fine Adjourned undertaking Discharge Dismissal People like that you just cant reason with, I asked them nicely to stop their harrassment of us and our cats, that only made it worse. Dissasemble the cartrages and thow away the pellets. One of the first double murders of parents by their child in the U. S. involved 11-year-old Wesley Elkins in Iowa. Here are some things you can try (and others you should not try) to make things more peaceful. I love nature, cats and all animals. I also don't want him throwing poison around and killing my dog. Technically they would be within the boundaries of the law to kill the animal if it does happen. also wants to mention that he shouldn't kill my cat if he sees it again. It only takes a minute to sign up. This is because the cat is considered a chattel or a possession, no different to any other item possessed by a person. Finally, Wisconsin has an interesting statute that prohibits "the killing or aiding in killing or wounding by use of deadly weapon of any animal that is tied, staked out, caged or otherwise intentionally confined in a man-made enclosure, regardless of size." WI ST 951.09 . They will probably warn him. A more realistic scenario might be them going to court and getting a restraining order, which could have significant consequences for you if you violate it by letting your cat out. The answer was yes you watch m. Shooting at cats is another nasty pastime for some people. Linear Algebra - Linear transformation question. I did record the interaction after the fact where she admitted to the the threat but maintaining "It was just a joke." Harassment by Neighbor Over Dogs Barking TheLaw.com Usually he makes a rush for the door and I just let him tire himself out for 30 - 45 minutes and he comes back in. If you want to read more click here. For more information, please see our rose said You usually find people like that think they own the entire street they live in and can do anything they like and woe betide anyone who questions their rights'. Also, it is more socially responsible to pick up feces if he defecates in a public place, although I understand the difficulties of doing that. So just hand in an apology mentioning that you do your best to not bother him and are sorry for this happening. Shooting a pet isn't considered a crime, at least not as far as I'm aware. An easy way for someone (say your neighbor) to harm your dog is by baiting them with poison. Infographic on 5 thoughts on excess weight in cats. Your mind is even sicker than I already knew it was! In order to have an official police record of a violent threat, notify local law enforcement immediately and explain the situation in detail. I don't know if I should just apologize and leave it at that, or mention that in the future I'd appreciate that he let me know there is a problem first before acting on his impulse? "When my daughter was verbally assaulted while looking for her lost cat and then threatened with a K9-trained German sherpherd, I went into 'protective dad' mode," Persampiere said in a written . I don't know if you were joking or not, I don't care. Report him to the police. They were literally threatened with death by chocolate. Summary: Castiel drops the reader into 1984 to protect her from an angel who wants to kill her. In that scenario, as long as you did not encourage your dog to attack the cat, it is not your fault. Am I right in thinking those cat hater neighbours were anti social in other ways too Ruth? I'm not expecting them to do anything, but I really just used the legal threat because I mostly wanted to set a boundary with her. How to mend a friendship when my friend thinks I'm in the wrong and I don't wish to apologize. The underlying problem that you have here is that your neighbor is a pain in the bum and no good even though he or she likes cats. Your best bet would be to stop being defensive, apologize for past kitty transgressions, stop brushing this off, and let them know you're doing your best to keep him contained at all times. Yes, exactly. Type 3: Exceptionally Annoying Neighbors. Youll just have to prove it and that might be tricky. If you approach your neighbor with fire in your eyes, he will go on the defensive. All of this may sound tough, even impractical, perhaps, but the first call upon a cat caretaker is the cats safety and if your cat is unsafe wandering around outside because of threats to his health and welfare something has to be done, proactively. Consider this your one, and only one warning. We often link to other websites, but we can't be responsible for their content. I'm not a lawyer, but I think the "animal abuse" aspect of this is nonsense. You explicitly show AND prove to the whole world that you had and have ZERO respect for your neighbors lives. Is there any other diligence or precautions I need to take? But they are bad for native birds. So far she's kept out of it. I honestly thought my cat pooped in his yard or peed on the fence or something (he used to do that in my flower bed a lot). And you end up with a hostile neighbor which is not good for long term health, welfare and ambience. He reads what he wants it to say, hes half crazed with his hatred of cats and those of us who love them. So my answer is that while the man sounds unreasonable, he has a point. My neighbor threatened to kill my cats. I don't think it's rude to communicate with a card. What he saw, however, was somehow . Only Dark Triad personality types tend to . How can I stop him? If you must interact with the person, be sure to bring a friend. I've considered this carefully in the past; I'd write a note to each of the neighbours advising them collectively to beware of letting any pet stray since your own cat has been threatened. How many more neighbors lives are you going to try to control and manipulate during your life by using your self-victimization cat-excuse and then blame others for it? I'll work on keeping him contained as much as humanly possible. Despite the fact that the number of domestic cats and dogs in America has doubled since the 1970s, the number Best Friends Animal Society reported a 44.5% drop between 2019 and 2020 of euthanized shelter cats and dogs from 625,000 Somebody asked the question whether animal shelters can refuse animals. I'm not clear on whether the cat is actually entering the neighbors property or not?

Kilometro 21 Nogales, Sonora, Cu Boulder Staff Directory, Helen Thomas Bbc Radio, 103520639df56c392532ac338 Bulldog Ale House Shooting, Articles N